Putting together this post has given me all the joy, don't you just love looking back at photographs? Pre Sadie my dream weekend away would have been a city break with as much shopping as possible whereas now I'd happily choose the countryside with team Wild any day. I booked the Lakes to celebrate Craigs 30th and I think I did a sterling job, we stayed on the periphery of the Lakes in the quaintest cottage looking out a striking church in Kirkby Lonsdale. Kirkby Lonsdale isn't a place I'd heard anything about before but I can promise you it's firmly on our radar now - the village is adorable, incredibly family friendly and somewhere I was definitely sad to leave.


Our first day was travel heavy so things didn't get noteworthy until Saturday where the day began with a walk to Ruskins View, a view so epic it was once painted by Turner. I say walk but much of the hour plus stroll was me carrying Sadie as she was feeling under the weather and only wanted me, let's just say I deserved my chocolate scone in the afternoon. With plenty of fresh air in our lungs we collected the pram and headed into town to eat, visit the best gift store and even get a drink in the local brewery, can Kirkby Lonsdale get any cooler? With recommendations coming thick and fast for local eatery Platos we decided it was the only place to dine on a Saturday night. Massive snaps to Sadie who let us eat three whole courses, a real treat for Craig and I.


Day two saw us drive to Bowness as it was somewhere I visited on my Geography trip at school. Rather disappointingly it wasn't quite as I remembered and felt spoilt by tourism which was a real shame as I'd waxed lyrical about going as a teen. Thankfully we found a super relaxed, Instagram worthy pub that more than made up for the let down. From Bowness we drove back to Kirkby Lonsdale via Low Sizergh Barn which is one of the most individual farms I've ever visited - not only can you sit and enjoy a slice of cake but you can do it while watching the cows being milked! Sadie absolutely loved it and so did we, there's even a milk vending machine as you leave. Reason 23 why we need to head back to the Lakes. With weary feet and a tired toddler on our hands we rounded off our day with a pizza at Avanti a stones throw from our cottage.


Waking up on Monday morning to the sound of the church bells reminded me just how quiet and relaxing our stay had been although the chiming did bring me back to reality as I realised today was check out day, cue frantic bag packing and sad faces all round as we left our beautiful cottage. With just the morning before we set home we decided to visit Ambleside and boy did it live up to its high praises. The views and weather were equally glorious particularly as we strolled around the park, the perfect way to end the celebratory weekend.

Have you ever visited The Lakes?